What have I been doing so far in preparation?
Swimming:
I had Fish look at my swimming and he gave me some excellent advice on my form. I've swam once a week at Gold's Gym (Round Rock) pool since then. Each time, I try to swim as much as I can for 30 minutes. I've improved quite a bit since I've started. My rest between laps is much less, I'm keeping my head down and I don't feel like my legs are sinking. I just need to figure out how to regulate my speed and I think I will be fine.
Running:
I've joined a free Runtex running group that meets on Monday nights at McNeil HS. The coach is Donnie McNeal. He is a pretty nice guy. We always do warm up laps, followed by form/connective tissue strengthening type drills. He then has two workouts to choose from for the beginners and advanced. The weird thing about this class is that there is an extremely wide range of abilities. The description of the class is that you should be able to run a mile w/o stopping. The range goes from me (I'm in the last 3 in terms of speed/endurance) to a young kid who can probably run a sub 3hr marathon. I would recommend this group to anyone who can run a mile w/o stopping. The group is pretty close knit and very welcoming and friendly. It's almost like being at Cheers, but without the beer. I've also been down to Town Lake once and have run on the treadmill at the gym.
Biking:
I've mostly biked at the gym. Brrr is lending me her bike for the Danskin and I will start riding it this weekend. My weekends have been packed, but I think I will get out on the bike this weekend.
Strength training:
Lift once a week. Sometimes twice. Nothing crazy here.
And Michelle and I are starting a formal training group this Saturday. It will be good to have some structure to my workouts. It will meet Tuesday/Thursday nights and Sunday mornings.
Sunday, I went to the Cactus Challenge triathlon to cheer some friends on. It was at the same location as the Danskin will be. It was good to go and see how everything works. The bike and swim course won't be exactly the same, but it looks like the transition area is the same. I've taken away that I need to run some hills, as you have to run uphill to the transition area after the swim and I need to swim more! The swim has me worried. I'll probably try to swim more than once a week now.
My goal is 1:50:00. Wish me luck.
9 comments:
Hey Girl !
Just got my computer back online today. I realy want to do the Danskin or well let me say that over I'm going to DO THE DANSKIN !
I may be DFL but thats ok I have been that in other things befor...lol
"DFL is better than DNF" - Sign near the AH3 beer check at the Freescale marathon.
We should have another sign making night and have someone post them all round the Danskin course.
well you guys will have a cheering section, I already know 3 or 4 of us are going to cheer you on for sure
Just Head is going to be volunteering in the transition area as well. It will be great to have so many familiar faces around.
I'll go cheer for y'all, if it's not too early :-)
I think it will be fun, the run is short and the bike part I now I can do, the swim well I can always swim on my back if I have to. I can not do any strokes ...lol I swim like a dog, but I do float well ...lol
Start hanging out with the Austin Duathletes. Pub Runs and supported bike rides. Swimming is for losers anyways.
I need a better form for swimming...mine sucks. Thought about adding it in the morning for extra umph, do you feel it really does a good job of toning?
Good luck girl...maybe i can get out there and cheer you guys on:)
I've only been swimming 4 times, so I can't comment on the toning aspects. However, I did lift weights after the last time I swam and it did a great job of pre-fatiguing my arms/shoulders/back. I wasn't lifting at my regular levels.
Post a Comment