Mocha is on my mind today. Eight years ago today, I adopted Mocha from a rescue group that was having an adoption day at the PetsMart on 183 & Ohlen Rd. Looking back, I was extremely naive and really had no idea what owning a dog entailed. At the time, my only requirement was <= 25 lbs, since at the time I lived in an apartment. Mocha was probably the worst dog for an inexperienced dog owner. As a puppy, she had an abundance of energy that had no end. I would walk her for 45 minutes/night after work and let her pull me on rollerblades on weekend mornings just so I could tolerate being home w/ her. She chewed holes in my walls. She ate my couch. I bought baby gates so I could keep her in the kitchen while I was at work. Within 10 minutes, she figured out how to climb over them. She could jump up onto the dining room table from the floor. She chewed up my carpet. She chewed up sunglasses, shoes, clothes, and her dog beds. In all pictures I have of her from this time, she is either a brown streak running away or struggling out of my arms as I try to hold her still for a picture. The only time she was still enough to get a picture during her first year is when she was sick. (That picture is on my mantle. It is an awesome headshot of her.)
I'm going to list random memories of her that seem to run through my head. One of my friends at this time re-wrote the words to the Barbie Song for Mocha: I am a Mocha girl living in my Mocha world... An ex-boyfriend nicknamed her 'Mocha Loca'.
I took her to obedience classes in an attempt to have a somewhat 'normal' dog. One of my fondest memories of this time was something that the 8 year old son of the teacher said. "My Mom says that dogs become what you named them and Mocha is so hyper because you named her after a coffee drink." Of course. An 8 year old gets it and I don't. Typical.
We were riding home from an agility trial one weekend and she tried to run out of the ring every time. One of the times, she scaled a five foot wall and almost went out the door. On the way home, I told her she didn't know how lucky she was because anyone else would have dropped her off at Town Lake years ago. :-)
She was affectionate like no other dog ever known. She had to kiss everyone and on the lips. I always had to warn people to keep their mouths shut or else she would clean their tonsils. Pity those that didn't heed my warning. They quickly learned that I meant it.
One of her cutest tricks was high-five. She would high five me and when she did, she would cock her head to the side. Anyone that saw it would respond w/ a Awwwwww!
On the sides of her neck she had little swirls in her fur. Not quite sure how to explain it. If you closely at these pics, you can kind of see it.
She had ears that she could manuever around like Yoda. One of my co-workers at the time I adopted Mocha would always tell her in Yoda speak: "Pee pee on floor, pottied trained you not".
Playing fetch. I discovered when she was about 6 years old, that she LOVES playing fetch. Once I was able to teach her to bring it back and drop it, it was game on! We eventually got to the point, where I could ask her to sit and stay, throw the ball while she maintained her stay (this was a big deal, since she is known for not having any self-control). She would sit there and quiver until I released her. Once I released her, she would belt out this little half-assed, high pitched 'ruf' to express her frustration with being made to wait. Of course I enjoyed the bark, so I would make her do it just so I could hear it.
Curling up on her favorite chair. I bought a big comfy chair from a coworker and she claimed the back cushion as her own. She would get on top of it and curl up in a little ball. She wasn't allowed on the furniture, but by this point, I gave up. Plus it was so cute.
Whining. Mocha has a whine that is just ingratiating. When she wanted something and she wasn't getting it, she would whine. It would start off nice and soft and end up like nails down a chalk board. Not that it would give you the chills, it was just that annoying. It took close to 7 years before I could ignore it and not give in.
Agility. Hundreds of memories and many friends made over the years. The show of support as Mocha and I tried to do agility was just amazing and the outpour of support when she passed made me realize how lucky I am to be part of this community.
Mocha taught me a lot. Most importantly, she taught me to laugh at myself. She outsmarted me so many times, it was all I could do.
I'm blessed that she was part of my life. My life hasn't been the same since she entered it. The funny thing is I don't remember what my life was like before. Here's to you Moch and I'll catch ya at the Rainbow Bridge.
7 comments:
This blog sucks!
Holy Crap..you have a blog now too?
AustinH3 blogs are a booming:) Welcome and your blog sucks.
For once I am not going to say it, Mocha was a wonderful dog and I really miss her at the hash.
Welcome to the blog world-sistah! I just have to the say this for the record...your blog sucks. Although, if its any consolation mine is worse...lol And Mocha was a great dog.
Welcome Heavin'!
I'm so glad I got to hang with Mocha a couple of times. Such a sweetie!
Thanks everyone but Browneye!
I have been getting grief from some of the others for lurking, so I've decided to join the fun. Or whatever it is.
tooo coooool !
and nice post
Post a Comment