Monday, April 17, 2006

Runtex Running Group

Tonight the Runtex running group did a mile time trial in preparation for the Congress Street Miler. They broke us up into two groups. The under and over seven minute mile. The fastest guy did a 4:30 or 4:40 mile. He lapped some of the under 7 minute mile people twice. I did a 9:24. My time includes two water stops, including running off the track to get my water. :-) It was freakin hot outside and a bit windy, so the conditions were not ideal. Actually, I was surprised I broke 10 minutes, so I'm actually pleased with my performance. And I wasn't last. Even better.

Tomorrow is the first meeting of my tri training group. We are running. I probably shouldn't have done the Runtex group tonight, but tonight will be my last night until the Danskin is over. Once I start w/ the tri group, Monday should be my off day. I 'should' be doing something every other day.

8 comments:

brownie said...

You had to stop for water twice on a one mile run? And are complaining about the conditions?

babyG said...

I need to find out about this group, can I join ?

did other people stop for water ? in a mile run ...

PlaysByEar said...

Wow you two are harsh!

It was almost 100 degrees today, give us a break. I stopped for water on my run today too, that was after at least 1.5 miles on a 3 mile run though. The breeze was nice.

brownie said...

I bet you had to stop again...to rub the sand out of your pussy!

Here's a free running tip - sometimes it gets warm in Texas; sometimes it might even get humid. Texans just might wanna learn to deal with those conditions!

Barbara said...

This is why running with a water bottle is a good idea...easy access.

Heavin' said...

Wow! I never knew how much Brownie cared.

The water issue is simply my mouth gets VERY dry and my tongue starts sticking to the roof of my mouth. When I know I will be running hard, I normally chew gum to alleviate the problem, but I forgot to bring it with me yesterday.

What might not be clear here is that we were expected to run at a race pace. If I was doing my nice leisurely, running in the shade around Town Lake pace, just stopping at the water fountains would be good enough.

I'm not complaining about the conditions. My best 5k time had a pace of 9:32 and that was on a nice crisp, 40 degree, perfect for running morning. I'm surprised I did so well in the heat along with the fact I've only been running once a week.

No one else stopped for water, but they did a 'do over' for a few of the fast people that bonked after two laps. Instead of quitting, I decided to drink some water. So shoot me.

BabyG - http://www.runtex.com/runtexu/
Scroll down to the free training groups section. I'm in the beginners/intermediate class that they say is in Pflugerville on Mondays, but it really around the corner from DBD & Tuck It's place.

brownie said...

Hey tri-geek, you need to learn a few terms before your big race. You can't "bonk" in a one mile run.

mike said...

I haven't felt the sensation of total glycogen depletion in a long time. I am no longer in good enough shape to make it that far.