Sunday, April 16, 2006

Biking & Parent Meeting

Brrr has graciously lent me her road bike for my Danskin training/triathlon. Today was my first day on it. BC and I went to the Veloway and did a couple of laps. We started out slow and decided that we needed to raise the seat, so we went back to the car and made the adjustment. Then we were off! My first lap was kind of shaky. For whatever reason, BC never believes me when I tell him I was the last kid picked for gym class/never did [insert athletic activity here] . I think he believed it today when we did the first lap. On a tiny downhill, I was scared and braking. A little boy, who appeared to be around 4 years old, passed me up on his itty bitty knobby tired bike w/ training wheels. I was ashamed.

The second lap when much better. I gained a lot of confidence and was experimenting w/ using the gears. I was going between 15-17 mph through a lot of sections and even hit 20 mph going into the big hill out there. Unfortunately, there is a turn going into the hill that I didn't navigate well and I almost bit it. We started later than planned, so we only had time for 2 laps before I needed to head home to get ready for Easter at my cousin's. My legs felt fine when I was done and I definitely felt like I could have gone much further.

When we were heading back to the car, BC asked me if he could make fun of my first lap. That's how bad it was. He had the outward appearance of being supportive, but he must have been laughing his ass off on the inside. Last kid picked for gym class manages to entertain the more athletically gifted once again!

The parent meeting went well. I clammed up, as expected. Dinner was delicious. We had Inari Sushi (?), miso soup, pickled cucumber, and pickled radish. Yum! I wish my Mom could cook like that. Just Maverick came along too and was a hit. I showed BC's middle daughter M that Mav could shake and high five and she had him doing it all night. She kept telling Maverick that he is the most awesome dog ever. I hope it doesn't go to his head.

Happy Easter/Passover/Sunday to everyone!

6 comments:

Barbara said...

What a yummy meal...Love Inari.

Made up my mind to add spinning to my weekly workout and would like to build up to outdoor riding. Girl, I have not ridden a bike since I was 10...I bet my ride downhill would be extremely entertaining.

oh well..Happy PassEastover!

dayoldfish said...

Mav is a totally an awesome dog! Sushi is always good, I was thinking to go for sushi yesterday but settled on Thai.

Heavin' said...

You would have loved dinner at BC's house on Sunday night. His Mom and daughter made sukiyaki (one of the rare meat dishes that make me wish I wasn't vegetarian), sushi (tuna, shrimp, and tamago for me), some kind of soup, and sauteed veggies for me. I also ate some of the left over Inari and miso soup. Yum.

I'm going to try my hand at Inari some time in the near future. BC bought the wrappers for me. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

babyG said...

sounds like fun and good food

Barbara said...

I buy Inari all the time from HEB...Yum

Your a vegatarian? No wonder you have a awesome body..

Asian Princess said...

Hi Heavin'. I didn't realize you have a blog! Guess now I could keep up with ya. I'm so happy for you and BC.