Monday, May 22, 2006

Side Stroke It Baby!

Saturday morning began w/ meeting the Tri group for a ride on Bee Caves, west of Mopac. It was the hilliest route I've done so far, but I think I did pretty good. I was one of the last to start, lost the chain on a hill (I figured out what I am doing wrong, so this won't happen again), and ended up in the group that finished first. Not too shabby. Later that afternoon, I went over to an agility friend's house to give some lovin' to the border collie pups she is fostering for Border Collie Rescue of Texas. They are too cute! (Scroll down to see Bebe and Trip) Of course, I didn't mean to stay long, but I was there a long time. Puppies are so much fun!

I did the Mansfield Dam swim on Sunday morning. I did the 800 m length. How'd I do? Better than I thought I would. My time was 29:45. That includes one veering off course and being about 20 feet from the start when the gun went off. And I did it mostly side stroke! I've decided I'm side strokin' the Danskin. I don't have enough time to focus on fixing my freestyle form between now and then, so I'm going with what is working and seems to be working well enough for me to reach my goal. I finished before a couple of people in my tri group that swim much better than I do and once I decided to give up on my freestyle, I started passing people and made consistent forward progress. Overall, I finished 69 of 99. I drank for that at the Hash.

On top of our normal scheduled this week, the Tri group has scheduled another open water ass whooping at Windy Point and an open water swim at Decker Lake on Saturday followed by running at the park. Not quite the Danskin route, as there will be boats in the lake and the run course won't be mowed, but they want us to get used to running on a cross country type course. Woohoo! That beats a road pound anyday.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

6 comments:

brownie said...

You need to delete that sidestroke paragraph before someone else sees it. Either do it freestyle, or take a noodle like all the other posers at Danskin.

Spotty said...

I do my best swimming sidestroke. Haven't got the freestyle down either. You gotta do what makes you comfy. 69 place...woo hoo!!!

Barbara said...

noodle??? what does that mean?

Rafael said...

Sixty nine duuude

Heavin' said...

Brownie - It's my rookie year. I have an entire year to suck ass.

Wet Spot - Thanks girl! Hope to see you soon.

Trojan - Noodles are the long, thin, cylindrical floatation devices made out of foam. Usually in bright colors.

Jerri said...

It's so cool that you are doing this - I don't have nearly the discipline - I'm lucky to get aerobics in 3 times a week!!! You're doing a great job - Keep it up!

I thought brownie was talking about limp ones like the one he takes.....