Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Maverick the Bionic Dog

I believe I said I would do a post about Mav's hips, so here it is. When Maverick was 10 months old, he was diagnosed w/ hip dysplasia. At one year old, he had his left hip replaced. This was February of 2001. Here is a pic of the x-ray w/ one hip replaced. You can see in the x-ray that he has no hip socket on the right side. I believe this picture was taken in May 2002 during his annual hip checkup. In November of 2002, he had the right side done. This pic is from his 3 month post surgical checkup. Mav's surgery was done at Central Texas Veterinary Specialty Hospital by Dr. Stephen Kerpsack. Dr. Kerpsack is an excellent surgeon and I recommend him highly. With his prosthetic hips, Mav has completely normal function. He does agility without any adjustments and can scale 6+ ft privacy fences to snatch a critter that has the unfortunate luck to be walking or sitting on the fence. And, as you can see, he has turned into quite the Hash dog. Here is a picture of Mav enjoying some brew at a beer check earlier this year.

7 comments:

babyG said...

cool puppy

Barbara said...

Hip Dysplasia...so many dogs are affected with that disease. Very cute dog though....It's simply amazing what modern technology can do these days.

Denial Queen said...

Long live the Mav!!!! He's a great dog :)

brownie said...

Think he can do that to humans? She Wanker Bitch is getting old and will need hip replacement soon.

Heavin' said...

Of course they can. Smeets already has one.

mike said...

What was his vet bill?

Heavin' said...

More than a loaf of bread, less than a car.