Saturday morning, BC and I woke up way to early to drive down to New Braunfels for the Rookie Tri. It was held at the Texas Ski Ranch. Here are my results:
| | ------- 300M SwmT1 -- | ------- 11.1M Bike ---- | ||||||
| Place | Name | Age | Rnk | Time | Pace | Rnk | Time | Pace |
| 382 | Jan Daley | 33 | 391 | 12:42.0 | 70:33/M | 381 | 47:56.7 | 4:19/M |
| ------- T2 ------- | ------- 2M Run ------- | Total | ||||
| Rnk | Time | Pace | Rnk | Time | Pace | Time |
| 319 | 1:37.4 | | 360 | 21:23.8 | 10:42/M | 1:23:40.0 |
The swim sucked, although it was much easier than swimming at Windy Point. I ended up in a pack of 5 women that either kept kicking me or I kept kicking. I'm not at the point where I'm comfortable with kicking others yet, so I never did stretch out and swim. I would get 3-4 strokes of crawl in before getting kicked or kicking someone, so I mostly side stroked.
I think I did great on the bike. In the first mile, there was a pretty steep hill and the chain fell off when I changed gears. It took me a bit to figure out how to get it back on and then I walked up the rest of the hill. That probably cost me 3-5 minutes.
The run could have been better. In the first mile, I kept taking walk breaks because I wasn't pacing myself very well. On the way back, I followed another woman back in. She had a pace I was comfortable with. I only walked up the hill leading into the ski ranch. I usually walk up hills faster than I run them.
Overall I was pleased w/ my performance. I finished only 8 minutes behind BC. He was 1 minute faster on the swim, 3 on the bike, and 4 on the run. If I didn't have the chain snafu, I probably would have done as well or better on the bike.
The post tri festivities were fun. The Regan HS band played. They had a couple of kegs of Fat Tire (yum!), sodas, veggie and real hamburgers, salty foods, and cookies. No bananas or bagels. They had a bunch of stuff that they threw out into the crowd. BC got a running cap and I got a race belt. We both got a pair of flip flops. We didn't win anything of the really cool stuff that they raffled. They gave away a few helmets, tri bags, hammer gel, tri clothing, hydration belts, etc.
Shawn Colvin sang the national athem before the race begain. She wasn't just there to sing. She won 3rd place in her age group.
All that fun and we were home by 12:15.
14 comments:
Outstanding job! Now you know what to expect so you should do even better at Danskin. I want to buy a bike so badly and start biking around town but I'm terrified, have not ridden since I was 10....
Anyhow, If the courage ever finds me, i'd love to go riding with ya sometime.
Thanks! A good place to start riding is the Veloway. Is is a 3.1 mile paved mile loop that is only for bikes and roller blades. You can get accustomed to the bike without worrying about cars or street conditions.
It is scary starting out. I like to say I have a healthy fear of cars. :-)
good job !
I realy need to get out and start to do some thing any thing, moving to Austin has me drinking more and doing less ...lol
We should figure out who likes to do what and plan some outings.
Well....It would be great to hit some shows/musicals or art galleries. not sure if you guys like that stuff. Movies are fun...it's been forever since i've been to one...
Congrats! But just because you're not a newby anymore doesn't mean you don't still suck! And tell BC that I'm laughing my ass off that a navy guy only beat a rookie by one minute on the swim!
Awesome, Jan!
Brownie - I'm laughing my ass off too! That's a different way of looking at it.
Trojan - How about a movie night on Monday? Alamo Drafthouse has matinee prices all day Monday and there are two north locations. We can try to get a group together. The only movie I have seen lately is Mission Impossible III.
Wet Spot & BabyG - Thanks!
Way to go Jan!
I've been thinking about getting a bike myself, but have no idea where to begin.
Get a mountain bike. Road bikers are sissies.
doing some thing sounds good, the movies are ok but that is realy just more eating and drinking ...lol
We need to do some thing ! some thing active ! Like go rock climbing ,scuba , archery , biking , kayaking or any thing else that gets us moving and not just sitting around
Woohooo! And to know that I was there with you....well at least my bike was...
You rock!!!!
By the way, you're a rookie for an entire year after your first tri. That's why it's your rookie year. So you still suck.
Great job, Jan! It's so awesome to see such complishments. I will definitely go and cheer for everyone during Danskin. Let me know when it is.
Post a Comment