Wednesday, August 09, 2006

My Own Private Idaho - Part I

This isn't a post about male prostitutes trying to find their way home or a popular song by the B-52's. It is about my trip to Idaho. I'll cut out the irrelevant babble and cut to the chase, since it has been a little more than a week since I have returned.

We arrived in Boise late Friday night and we stayed w/ Jim's best friends V&R. Saturday morning we woke up and packed up the backpacks. Jim was impressed that I didn't bring much to take with me. I did pack my Rogue Running Bootcamp shirt and my Burnet Road Challenge t-shirt. My pack only weighed 30 lbs. His weighed in at 45 lbs. He carried the tent, the camp stove, and water purifier. On the way out of Boise, we made a stop by REI and ate lunch. We made it out to the Sawtooths mid-afternoon.

We started the hike to the campsite. The first 3 miles or so were on well maintained trails. We had to make a stop after the first mile because I started getting blisters on my heels. We put some band-aids on them and put on thicker socks. Not a good way to start off. We continued the hike in crossed some nice streams where we stopped and used the purifier to fill up our nearly empty water bottles. Idaho happened to be in the middle of a heat wave that week (Boise had 5 consecutive days of > 101), so we were drinking lots of water. We get to the point where we go off the developed trail and start a serious climb. Previously, Jim told me that the last 1/4 mile of trail was hard because it was very steep. What he didn't tell me, is that it is 1/4 mile if you could take a straight line from bottom to top. In reality, with all the switchbacks, it is probably 1 - 1 1/4 miles. At 60-70% grade. With 30 lbs on my back and blisters on my heels. Needless to say, the hike up was extremely difficult for me. This was my first time backpacking, so I hadn't developed any sense of balance with the extra weight. I don't remember falling on the way up, but there were many times I thought it would be faster if I crawled. On the bright side, at times, the trail went alongside a beautiful waterfall named Bridal Veil Falls. It was nice to stop and admire it. There was also moments when I was completely terrified. There were some sections that were completely exposed. One wrong step and down the mountain I would roll.

At some point, it appeared that we were getting close to the top. I'd ask Jim how much further and his answer was always 'I think it is about 50 yards'. But, it was a cruel, cruel joke. The mountain cut in and then when back up. It was so steep and the trees so thick that you couldn't see. This reminded me of the Smurfs when they would go on long journeys. I started calling Jim Papa Smurf, but the reference was lost on him. He was in the Navy when the Smurfs were on TV.

We finally make it up to the ridgeline and flatter ground. After another 50 'Jim' yards (more like 400 yards) we finally arrive at the area where we are going to camp. I'm completely dumbfounded. At the top of this trail, is a beautiful lake set inside of a moutain peak and ridgelines. I can't even attempt to put into words how tranquil and beautiful it is. All I can say is at that very moment, the stress from difficult hike up melted away and it was all worth it.

We quickly setup camp about 15 ft from the lake. We changed out of our boots and put on some warmer clothes. We also tended to my blisters. The one on my left heel was completely open. It hadn't bled, but it would have probably started soon if I had hiked much longer. The sun was going down over the peak and the temperature quickly dropped. Near the campsite, there were a couple of huge rocks in the lake. While Jim cooked dinner (I highly recommend the freeze dried mashed potatoes w/ broccoli and cheese. Yum!), I sat on the rock closest to our campsite, pumped/purified water, and just took in the surroundings. The water was perfectly clear. You could see fish and the bottom of the lake. It was amazing. While we were eating, a doe decided to join us. She stayed pretty far back most of the time, just checking us out and grazing. At one point, she got within 15 feet of us. Once it got dark, we started a small campfire. We sat on a log and we were talking. Actually, I was talking. Jim seemed to be distracted and really wasn't paying attention to what I was saying. What do I do? Like any good woman, I just kept talking. Suddenly, Jim gets down on one knee, whips out a small box, and asks me to marry him. I was so surprised, I suddenly lost my ability to talk and just nodded and I hugged him. I opened the box and it is the most beautiful ring (Before you ask, I did pick the setting) ! He put it on my finger and asked me if that meant yes. I hadn't regained my ability to talk yet, so I nod. Once I regained my ability to talk, I did speak the word 'yes'.

More to come later. I've got to get to bed now.

10 comments:

BRAE said...

Congratulations! That sounds like a very exciting and scary day, not to mention the hike.

Barbara said...

Major CONGRATS. Wow, i am so happy for you both. Now that would make any hike worth sweating for:)

dayoldfish said...

Hrrrrm, seems like the hike was a test and you passed. Congrats and Best Wishes to Jim.

babyG said...

That is so cool !

Heavin' said...

Thanks guys!

Smut Mutt said...

You lost me... You're next to a mountain lake and you can see these fish, probably rainbow trout. And you had freeze dried mashed potatoes for dinner???

Heavin' said...

It was cheese and broccoli mashed potatoes. ;-)

Jim regretted not bringing his fishing gear.

BLEU 12 said...

Cant believe he made you hike all that way to do that. Maybe it was soo nerve wreaking for him that he needed to be tired to not show his shaky body while he asked...lol. Do you mind if I link some of tyyour posts on my site. I will be back to read it all. Keep it coming

THE STU

Gagger said...

Definitely well worth the hike. Congratulations!!!

Spotty said...

Wha, wha, what??? congrats!!!! you two are such a sweet couple!