We jumped on the shuttle and got off at Yaki Point and Pipe Creek Vista. Both of these had good views. (Is there a bad view of the Grand Canyon??) From Pipe Creek Vista we took the 1.5 mile hike along the Rim 'Trail'. It really isn't a trail, but a 5 ft wide asphalt sidewalk that runs along the side of the rim. This took us back to where we were parked and near one of the shops and info center. We went into the shop. I bought a vegetarian southwestern cookbook. It really was a book store and didn't have much in the way of souvenirs. We left the bookstore and Jim read all the information kiosks while I sat in the shade and drank lots of water. We then boogied out and made the drive back to Phoenix. We hit a thunderstorm just south of Sedona which caused us to slow down quite a bit.
Do you know what I like best about the Phoenix airport? Carvel ice cream. This was a staple of mine growing up in New York. The Phoenix airport is the only place I have run into one since I left in 1985. They have locations in Texas now, but not in Austin. I always get a chocolate cone with chocolate sprinkles. They take the cone (sugar cone) and roll the ice cream in the sprinkles. The people at the airport thought I was nuts when I described the process of getting sprinkles on ice cream that is already on a cone, so I just get it in a cup and let them pour the sprinkles on instead. This time I got one, but they were out of chocolate sprinkles, so I just had plain ice cream. It was still good anyway.
This weekend I'm going to try to take it easy. I'm taking Mav to agility practice Saturday morning and I'm going to the hash on Sunday. At some point, we'll be heading over to Chon Som so Jim can finish some electrical wiring he is doing.
I'm also participating in the Marathon Relay on July 4th. I've put together a team of people that run much faster than me. T-Rex, Sphincter Blinker, C'em Cummin, Beaver Cleaver, and myself. Our team name is Powered by Guinness. Keep your fingers crossed that nobody gets injured at the hash this weekend!
Have a great weekend everyone!
2 comments:
I've had the whale cake from Carvel, good stuff!
Good luck at the relay!
Good luck on the relay this year!!!! Sorry I wasn't in town..next race. Maybe Muddy Buddy in August?
Post a Comment